Finally summer is here that means so much fun so don’t let diabetes stop you from enjoying summer and that comes from taking good care of your self during summer hot days .
Because of the heat generated by the earth , temperature is increasing every day so here are some tips that you should follow to stay away from troubles :
- First is as much as possible stay away from dehydration :
As a result of the extreme heat of summer which leads to excessive sweating that makes you keep losing fluids from your body and it will give you many symptoms like dry mouth which is a dangerous symptom of dehydration .
Researches say that if the diabetic did not get enough water and fluids . you will keep losing till the amount of water in blood start decreasing and that will make your body produce “Ketones”
always when you feel any thirst or dehydration drink a large amount of water specially if you are working or excersising out always carry a bottle of water with you so you can keep hydrating .(try to avoid the high sugar drinks and alcohol ).
2. Check your blood sugar often :
this is actually not just a summer tip we should check blood sugars no matter if it is summer,winter,spring and even autumn .
If you felt like any of these symptoms call your doctor/nurse/diabetes or any one that can help you :
- Excessive sweating
- Any cramps or pain in your muscles
- increasing the rate of heart beat
Take good care of your SKIN
- Take a proper bath at least twice a day. Bathing using antiseptic lotion will prevent bacterial growth on your body.
- Wear light-weight, cotton clothes . Avoid synthetic clothes altogether.
- Always use a sunscreen whenever going out. Sunburns result in rising blood sugar level.
Caring your feet
Most of people with diabetes suffer from foot injury and infection or ulceration as they have a poor control on blood sugar levels
- Check your feet everyday if you see any infections cuts or anything not normal call your doctor immediately .
- keep your feet clean wash and dry them
- wear cotton socks during summers. Avoid synthetic material as much as possible.
- if you are going on vacation avoid walking barefooted
- protect your feet from any cuts and sores
Always remember Having diabetes doesn’t mean you CAN’T enjoy your life . live and enjoy every single moment and don’t let it disturb you .
WISH YOU ALL A VERY HAPPY SUMMER AND GOOD DIABETES CONTROL
SMILE AND BE A HAPPY DIABETIC